3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat
On Tuesday, September 1, 2015, Nest Labs, Inc. announced the 3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat. The new thermostat features an updated design and new software. Also included are features from the 1st and 2nd generation Nest Thermostats.
Like the 1st and 2nd generation Nest Thermostats, the 3rd generation also includes the following integrations with Nest Protect and Nest Cam:
- When Nest Protect sounds a Heads-Up or Emergency Alarm for smoke or carbon monoxide you'll also receive a Nest app notification and the thermostat will display messages indicating the problem
- The thermostat can automatically shut off fossil fuel-based heating systems to help limit carbon monoxide leaks in the home
- Nest Protect enhances the Nest Thermostat’s Auto-Away feature by improving Nest’s knowledge of when you’re home or away
- You can set your Nest Cam to begin automatically recording when you switch your Nest Thermostat into Home or Away mode
3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat Hardware Features
- A brighter, high-resolution screen that's 40 percent larger than previous versions with 25 percent more pixels (229 pixels per inch)
- A slightly thinner profile
3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat Software Features
- Farsight – Previous versions required you to be about three feet away before the thermostat woke up and turned on the display. Farsight takes advantage of the new higher resolution screen allowing you to see useful information on the thermostat from across the room. You can set the thermostat to display target temperature, an analog clock or digital clock or you can turn Farsight off
- Furnace Heads-Up – Most heating and forced air furnaces have an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating. The Nest Thermostat will look for shutoff patterns that indicate there’s a persistent problem and if so, you’ll get a Heads-Up message in the Nest app and on the thermostat screen twice per year, and you’ll also get a notice in your monthly Home Report. (Furnace Heads-Up will be available for 1st and 2nd generation customers later this year.)
The 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat is available now at nest.com and select retailers for a suggested retail price of $249. The 2nd generation Nest Thermostat is available at select retailers for a suggested retail price of $199 while supplies last.
About Steve Cooper
Steve Cooper is an applications software developer who also builds custom home media solutions. His interests include reading, music & movies, guitar, woodworking and motor racing.
Steve Cooper's full author bio and article archive...