Ultimate Ears BLAST and MEGABLAST Introduced
On Thursday, October 19, 2017, Ultimate Ears, a brand of Logitech International, introduced Ultimate Ears BLAST and Ultimate Ears MEGABLAST. Both wireless speakers come with Amazon Alexa, 360-degree sound, and include Wi-Fi and BluetoothⓇ capability.
The BLAST and MEGABLAST are Ultimate Ears’ loudest and most powerful speakers to date. With a maximum sound pressure level of 93 dBC, MEGABLAST is the loudest speaker from Ultimate Ears and is 40 percent louder than the Ultimate Ears MEGABOOM.
BLAST and MEGABLAST Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Capability
When the Ultimate Ears BLAST and MEGABLAST speakers are connected to Wi-Fi, they offer Amazon Alexa voice control for Amazon Music, iHeartRadio and TuneIn. Future updates are expected to bring voice control for Pandora and Deezer. All of the normal Alexa functions are included. For example, you can order food, get the weather or a joke, control smart home devices, and make use of the more than 25,000 skills available for Alexa.
When connected to Wi-Fi, you can take calls on your mobile phone while the music continues to play uninterrupted on the BLAST and MEGABLAST. Additionally, you can connect the speakers to your mobile device using Bluetooth to provide enhanced sound to streams available on the device. Ultimate Ears boasts a 330 foot Wi-Fi range and a Bluetooth range of 150 feet for the BLAST and MEGABLAST.
Charging the BLAST and MEGABLAST
The BLAST provides a battery that will last for up to 12 hours. The MEGABLAST battery is rated to last for up to 16 hours. Also announced was the Ultimate Ears POWER UP. The POWER UP is a doc that is used to charge the BLAST and MEGABLAST batteries without the need for wires. The speakers can be continuously used for music and such while charging with the POWER UP.
The Ultimate Ears BLAST and MEGABLAST are IP67 rated which means they’re dustproof and waterproof to a depth of three feet for up to 30 minutes. Both speakers come in a range of colors including black, white, blue, red, green, and yellow. Color availability varies by country.
Ultimate Ears BLAST Features
- 90 dBC Maximum Sound Level
- 90Hz – 20kHz Frequency Range
- 2 35mm Active Drivers
- 2 81mm x 39mm Passive Radiators
- Rechargeable Lithium Battery for up to 12 hours of battery life
Ultimate Ears MEGABLAST Features
- 93 dBC Maximum Sound Level
- 60Hz – 20kHz Frequency Range
- 2 55mm Active Drivers
- 2 85mm x 50mm Passive Radiators
- Rechargeable Lithium Battery for up to 16 hours of battery life
Features Common to the Ultimate Ears BLAST and MEGABLAST
- Amazon Alexa Voice Control Built-In
- Built-In Dual-Band 802.11 a,b,g,n (2.4 and 5 GHz) Wi-Fi
- Built-In Bluetooth supports Audio Playback from devices with advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP)
- Can pair up to 8 Bluetooth-enabled source devices
- 330ft Wi-Fi Range
- 150ft Bluetooth Range
- 360-Degree Sound
- IP67 Dustproof and Waterproof (up to 1m for up to 30 minutes)
- Available in Graphite (Black), Blizzard (White), Blue Steel, Merlot (Red), Mojito (Green), and Lemonade (Yellow) Colors
- 2-Year Limited Warranty
Ultimate Ears BLAST and MEGABLAST Requirements and Notices
- A connected Wi-Fi router is required for initial setup
- A Wi-Fi network and a compatible Android (>= Android 5.0) or iOS (>= iOS 10.2) mobile device is required
- Some Alexa skills and services may require a subscription or other fees
- Standard data rates may apply when tethering to a mobile device hotspot
Pricing and Availability
The Ultimate Ears BLAST and MEGABLAST along with the Ultimate Ears POWER UP are available for pre-order now. They are expected to be available in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Austria towards late October, 2017.
The Blast has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $229.99. The MEGABLAST has an MSRP of $299.99. The POWER UP has an MSRP of $39.99. The Ultimate Ears app is available for free on the Apple App Store and for Android™ on Google Play.
New subscribers that purchase the BLAST and/or MEGABLAST through January 23, 2018 will be provided a free three-month subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited.
About Steve Cooper
Steve Cooper is an applications software developer who also builds custom home media solutions. His interests include reading, music & movies, guitar, woodworking and motor racing.
Steve Cooper's full author bio and article archive...